Major project partnerships
The following is a summary of the major projects from 1994.
October 1995 : Our first conference and first regional MAST days
December 1995 : Contains a list of foundation members
April 1996 : We win our first battle with MSQ
June 1996 : We begin traineeships for our students
July 1997 : Cairns conference record
March 1999 : Marine and Aquatic Practices Syllabus
March 2000 : AUSMEPA and Junior Marine Studies begin
- Boatsafe Marine Licence scheme development for school students - Maritime Safety and Yachting Queensland, 1998 - 2010.
- Project Reef Ed - Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 1995 - 2010.
- Reef Guardian Schools Program Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 2004 - 2010.
- Seaweek - Marine Education Society of Australia, 1995 - 2010.
- Coast and Marine Education Syllabus, Yachting Queensland, Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, Education and Marine Safety Queensland and Wet Paper Publications, 2003 - 2009.
- Coral bleaching workshops and Field Trips to University of Queensland Heron Island, 2007 - 2010.
- Coxswain traineeships for students and structured work placements 1998 - 2010.
- Development of a Marine Safety Days for students 1995 - 2010.
- Working with the Australian Student Traineeship Foundation to secure industry placements in Marine Ecotourism and Conservation (1998-2005 formally but to today as an ongoing Marine Science Vocational Education and Training program).
- Working with the Board of Senior Secondary School Studies in 1998 - 2002 and then with the Queensland Studies Authority 2003 - 2010 in the development of the Marine and Aquatic Practices Syllabus.
- The Queensland Studies Authority approved the Marine Studies syllabus current version for use in 2004. Schools to develop work programs that are submitted to the Queensland Studies Authority for approval use this document.
- MTAQ has successfully lobbied for revision of this syllabus after 2012 and the Queensland Studies Authority has indicated to us that the subject will continue to be fully supported and resourced after implementation of the National Senior Sciences Curriculum.